IT 2021 Obsession Convention Final Gala Event Recap and Virtual Convention Musings

The final gala event gave us a swell centerpiece Adele, an interview with Jason Wu, and another miniature Wu fashion on a doll...this time Elyse! Jason discussed his history, drag queens, food, cats, his design work during covid times, and a little look into future things. There was discussion of the Net-a-Porter dolls (groan) and the potential to do another Wu doll for the club instead. Hopefully that might happen as the recent Wu Aymeline(s) offered via Net-a-Porter was an unparalleled torturous disaster for the majority of people who wanted her (still ongoing mind you).  

Item # 91529
Sovereign
Adèle Makéda™ Dressed Doll
The 2021 Integrity Toys Convention: Obsession
Final Gala Event Centerpiece
Edition Size: 1300
Special Convention Price: $180.00
Head Sculpt: Adele 2.0
Body Type: FR 6.0
Foot Sculpt: High-heeled
Skin Tone: Sunkissed
Hair Color: Golden Blonde
Eyelashes: Yes, Hand-applied
Quickswitch: No

Designed by Jessy Ayala and in keeping with the vaguely defined military theme, we get this quite pretty Adele. The regency military jacket has an asymmetrical hemline which seems to have polarized many. I like it but would have also liked it with more traditional styling. I do wish that it opened up the front rather than the back though. The dress is gorgeous but I don't often display my dolls in evening wear...so not sure I will get a lot of use out of it. Though I say that knowing that I still have last year's Wu gala dress on display and still have the Coven Collection Vanessa to debox...so maybe this will fit nicely with them.  I was also thinking of trying the coat with a lacey blouse and a pair of jeans and boots.


Adele has great screening. Her overall look is Beyonce at Breakfast at Tiffany's.  I am hoping someone will release her hair and share the pictures.  She could be a good stand-in for Soul Deep Adele if there is enough volume to give an afro look.  The IRL pictures have shown the ringlets around the face to be sticking out at crazy angles but most have been able to fix it with a little water and a rubber band or plastic wrap treatment overnight to tame them into place.  I have not decided whether I will keep Adele or try to trade her/sell her.  I do like Sun-kissed and I don't currently have any blonde Adeles in the collection...decisions, decisions.


Item # 12320
Fall 2020
Elyse Jolie™ Dressed Doll
The 2021 Integrity Toys Convention: Obsession
The Jason Wu Collection Official Convention Souvenir
Edition Size: 1300
Head Sculpt: Elyse Jolie
Body Type: FR 6.0
Foot Sculpt: High-heeled
Skin Tone: Dark A-Tone
Hair Color: Black
Eyelashes: Yes, Hand-applied
Quickswitch: No

And the souvenir gala doll is Elyse.  I like her quite bit. I think many were either hoping for Aymeline or dreading the other one that looks like Melania.  I love the Elyse sculpt myself and I think she looks AMAZEBALLS in Dark A-Tone.  I also like the fashion, jewelry, and cosmetic accessories. I like getting a cocktail dress rather than an evening gown for a change.  However, I know my tastes are not typical and that there is a significant majority that would not be a fan of this.

The IRL pictures of the doll are showing some potential chaos with the hair though and there is debate on whether this is an intentional choice or a quality control FUBAR.  People are lighting pitchforks in response. I am pretty sure I can make it work and will like it but won't know until I see it in person. Some of the language people are using is borderline offensive though and I don't think people thoughtfully consider the way they talk about textured hair and how that might make someone with similar hair feel.  

So there you have it. Another virtual convention in the can. This time the virtual-ness was planned rather than a 'Hail Mary' due to the pandemic. The ongoing supply chain issues led to a greatly reduced number of convention dolls (no hommes at all) and the delay in product arriving in time for shipment.  However, things seem to be getting to people earlier than expected and at least IT managed to miss the holiday crunch this year. It seems as though the W Club Dominique is currently the doll delaying the remaining product shipments but folks just now started getting shipping notices for her today.  I am hoping I get mine this week as I still have vacation time until Friday and after that won't have much time to deal with them for awhile.  If they come in the next few days then I will get some quality play time before the spring semester begins (starting online for two weeks...thanks Omicron!).  The Elyse hair disappointment is piling on with the W Club Luncheon Dominque hate. The combination of that with the oddly executed 'sportsballz' theme for NuFace is making this a less popular convention in the hearts and minds of collectors it seems. I am not sure as of yet.  I am a big fan of the Vanessa giftset and the majority of the style lab fashions. Black Ice Victoire was also a slam dunk for me. Vendetta Agnes is pretty swell.  I also suspect I am going to really like Alejandra in hand....or at least until there is another one that I can easily obtain and like better. I almost NEVER keep convention poppies as they are generally in the poofy petticoat land so it was no surprise that I did not love any of the convention collection or poppy lunch dolls. So all in all, I feel like I am generally keeping the usual amount of dolls from this convention. [Last year was a crazy anomaly in that I still have like 10 in the collection from last year....but chances are I am going to need to purge a few of the 2020 style lab girls soon...no more room at the inn.]

Anyway...more thoughts when I get my dirty mitts on the goods.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

W Club Exclusive Doll "Mademoiselle Eden" from Nu Face...

Paris Doll Convention News

IT Dolly Days East 59th La Femme Godiva Collection with New Characters!